Sunday, March 06, 2005

ICRA, some hope for Dharwad and other nice things for India

A couple of blogs I wrote saying that I will write about ICRA. Although I haven't informed them here's a short intro about them. ICRA expands to Institute for Cultural Research and Action. It is an organization run by a few like minded people who work on a number of socio-economic issues. It is based out of Bangalore. Amongst the many things that they are working on, the one major issue I know about is sustainable agriculture. They are currently working with a lot of farmers on areas like organic farming - which to me and I guess most of you, would loosely translate to agriculture in a fashion that doesn't destroy the land after one or two instances of use by doping the land with excess synthetic fertilizer or artificially ripening crops or adding fungicide to preserve produce, etc. ICRA sells organic farming products out of their office near Indiranagar in Bangalore. They can be contacted at 91-080-25283370. They also bring out a magazine called Saguwali in Kannada, which is primarily intended for increasing awareness amongst ordinary people incl. farmers. For ex, their last issue talked about the role of mangrove forests and how they saved parts of Bangladesh from the recent tsunamis, a scandal involving Monsanto (another version of the same at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4153635.stm)

I had no clue about all this myself and felt really small. Do read these and let me know what you think.

As for the reason for hope for drought ridden Dharwad, check this out http://www.goodnewsindia.com/index.php/Magazine/story/88/

I am just continuing where I left off in my "Kahan Kai Himalay Aisa, Kahan Aisa Paani http://dhammo.blogspot.com/2005/02/kahan-hai-himalay-aisa-kahan-aisa.html

Maybe all these will lead to some dedicated sub blog for India. Lets see

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home