Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Lives of Others

The last time I had a severely cathartic experience, the kind when you have something burn you inside out due to the experience, as if someone left a cigarette inside your heart, was when I saw "No Man's Land." I maintain to this day that it is one of the finest movies ever.

The Lives of Others is one more in that genre. Incredibly well written, supremely poetic ending. Thank god for that woman due to whom I began reading Vikram Seth and then other poetry as a result. There is this unnerving scene within a scene in the movie when one of the main characters is referring to Lenin's description of Beethoven's Appassionata, saying something to the effect that he could not go on listening to it as he had a revolution on hand!

Please see it.
p.s. As my tribute to the movie, have begun reading The Dubliners by James Joyce and My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have watched this movie and yes it has startled me quite a bit! Though, I never got a chance to watch it again.

4/26/2008 6:39 PM  
Blogger bk said...

Yes, both great movies.

And if you liked those I think you may enjoy a German/Turkish movie called Head On. Very powerful stuff.

Also you're very lucky to have met Tergat. He embodies distance running...understated, humble and giving of himself. A true gentleman athlete.

5/22/2008 5:50 PM  
Blogger D said...

Will try and trace this "Head On"

And if I may ask, who are you, bk?

5/22/2008 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home