Friday, April 22, 2011

The King's Speech

Saw The King's Speech (TKS) finally. While I have read enough about Firth's excellent portrayal, hadn't read as much about Geoffrey Rush who did earn a nomination for his work. Some googling yielded this which shows uncanny parallels between his character Logue and his actual life. What a fine screenplay by Seidler...Although it is a little difficult to eject the rather unfortunate Timothy Spall as the rat from Harry Potter and insert his portrayal as Churchill. And of course, TKS does hold a mirror to us for our cruel acts at whatever age for mocking people who stammer.

Besides the success - both critical and commercial, the movie is an object lesson in understanding people with learning difficulties. I am constantly reminded of the educational system I went through as did most of my readers that confined most people with issues - minor or major to mostly fend for themselves. It was not too long ago that I finished reading Sacks' account of autistic people.

This is yet another note to myself

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home