Friday, July 29, 2005

Dreams and Nightmares

One of the reasons I liked about Michael Crichton’s Sphere was the awesome concept of an entity that could make your worst nightmares come to life.
I rarely write about work as a rule, but when it intersperses with life and when I am not even mentioning the company – let alone anything else, I would rather share my experience.

One of the nightmares I carried till today, in life was the fact that my first project as a manager never reached mass production. It died a slow painful death despite the best efforts of some of the best engineers you are likely to find in the country, for reasons other than engineering. I learnt so much from that job that I did start off on another project soon, with the wealth of experience and greater confidence. But that had a longer gestation period than my stay at the job. I shifted due to some personal reasons. Today was the first day of the first project for which I had the manager’s responsibility in my new company. I am glad that it took off.

Phew! Like my boss from my previous job said, “You win some, you lose some, but you learn from all of them.” But boy, was I waiting for this to happen!

It has always been a dream in my professional life that I could contribute to something that made a difference to the company. I did on my first job as a software engineer, but then I have always wanted to be a manager. And my first project as a manager failed due to reasons beyond my control. And despite the detachment that one can carry about having done all one can and leaving the result to life, who wants to end up on the other side?!

Its nice to advise others to take it easy, but it really takes a lot of experience to be able to lead your life that way. I am on way to my dream and exorcizing my nightmares.

Poornamadah poornamidam …

1 Comments:

Blogger Vikram said...

Congrats Dhammo...How about a treat?

8/05/2005 3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home