Saturday, October 22, 2005

83 kilos of newspaper equals Ganashatru & Saturday Night Fever ?!

What does it take to buy the DVD of Ray's Ganashatru & the VCD of Saturday Night Fever ?
66.7 kilos of The Times of India & The Economic Times & 16.3 kilos of a Kannada newspaper. Now who says the TOI is good for nothing?

That is what I got from 3 hours of sorting almost a year's newspapers to fund my indulgences. Expect to post a review of the classic from Ray soon. So far I have seen Jalsagar & Pather Panchali and liked both immensely, especially the latter. May have seen a few more on DD in the days of those classics at 1 pm on Sundays, but don’t have a good enough recollection of any, including Shatranj ke Khiladi, but am firmly convinced that Ray was an enormously talented man. Pather Panchali is as good a movie as any I have seen. One of my other favourite Bengali movies is also by Ray and is called Agantuk starring Utpal Dutt, in an awesome story of human relationships. Jai Janani! (for those in the unknown, this dialogue is from the Telugu version of Kalidasa starring ANR and is the beginning of an amazing song in Sanskrit in the movie sung by the immortal Ghantasala)

Epilogue: Looks like I spoke too soon. The Ganashatru DVD didn't have subtitles! And despite my attempts at making sense of most of it, I felt like I couldn't get most of the dialogue. So I had to return the DVD and get Hemmingway's Death in the Afternoon & Hugo's Les Miserables after adding a little more money. So they are the latest members of my now overcrowded teapoy as my bookshelves can hold no more. 25/10/05 Corrected the fact that I had earlier stated Agantuk to be a Benegal movie!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home