Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Prophecy of One Across

Amongst the several things that I have picked up in life for no apparent reason, this is one of those things that I actually believe in. On the day that I solve the 1 Across (or the 1st across) clue in the ET crossword, my day will be magnificent. This is simply a gut feel device that I have developed over the years and has been mostly accurate.

The last time this worked was on March 6th, the day of the Brand Equity Quiz in Madras. I solved the 1st across clue as I sat finishing my coffee at Meenakshi Bhavan (which has superseded Sangeetha for my choice of breakfast joint) on Santhome High Road. Another surreal experience which I shared with a few close friends also happened right after this. But then this blog is about the prophecy.
I went to work and after almost about 3/4th of a day of work, left for the BEQ along with my partner, who was also very keen on the event. All we wanted to do was qualify, so that the company would pay the entry fee for future events, based on our performance!

The prelims were mostly easy and we missed hardly anything in the 1st 10. We got the 1st 7 right! We were praying that we don’t hit a bad patch which quizzers frequently hit after a good run. We did one patch where we got 4 wrong, but then recovered towards the end where we got about 6 right. Overall, we got 22 on 30. Not bad. Then the wait for the results. There was coffee being served outside to calm our nerves. Derek usually runs thru the scores of all teams that participated. This time, he started with the teams that did not make it. But then there was a catch. Teams 6 to 10 had to face off in a tie-break for 1 place! I was hoping that we were not one of them. I have a lousy record with tie-breaks. We weren’t.

We started off well and after 24 questions, there was a buzzer round. We stayed inactive for the most part since we were well placed to be in the 1st 4 teams. We had a mostly unillustrious next set of questions, when we barely answered anything. However I got a good one which went right round the stage before it came to our team (Ustad Bismillah Khan has one vice, What and Which brand? Wills Navy Cut Cigarettes. This drew applause from Derek and the audience, after Derek had made remarks about me being better dressed, but my partner doing all the answering! To be fair, my partner was rocking, but more on that later). I got another nice one, which again went right round the stage before it came to our team - The Academy Awards are known by these 5 words – “And the Oscar goes to…” And got some applause again for this. When the time came for 2 teams to remain on stage, me and my partner were keeping scores (mostly our own) and thought that we must be 4th or joint 3rd and hence need to get off stage, according to the rules of the quiz. We got up to leave and then sat down as the scores had not been announced. We even told each other that 3rd place was not a bad finish for our 1st outing as a team! But then lady luck was grinning! Citibank and us were tied on the same score and Irevna was leading. And since we had topped the prelims, Citibank got eliminated!

Now, there was only a buzzer round of 8 questions. The leading team took no chances as they were ahead. We took about 5 or 6 of the questions, got 2 wrong and 3 right including the last one! Derek started, “The Air India plane of the Prime Minister of India …” My partner hit the buzzer and said “AI 001.” Till then, I had no idea that there was such a thing! Apparently Derek's full question was "The Air India plane of the Prime Minister of India has the 1st 2 digits as?"

As all of Derek’s quizzes go, he said that one team had answered and that there was a clear winner. Then he ran through the list of prizes and their net worth. He called the chief guest on stage and introduced him. Then he asked for the prizes for the runners-up and said that it would go to Irevna! Boy, we had won!
I am just happy to have been there and answered when needed to ensure my team was in the running and in the prelims when there were lots that I knew. Now, we are off to Amby Valley for the All India finals. Winners get a Ford Flair each!
Hope I solve the 1 across clue on the day of the finals!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home