Saturday, April 29, 2006

My Gult Trip!

No, that's not a typo. I have been on a mini trip of the Gult land aka Andhra Pradesh. Actually it is just 2 places - Warangal and Vizag, but then its been great fun and besides, how else will I sell my book?!

Warangal was a slight let down as I had great plans for it, since it houses an REC, but it turned out to be not much beyond a town, as of today. I had to call a friend who studied from the REC to ask for a place to eat breakfast since I ended up very early in the town. One place actually told me that I could get vegetable biriyani or pulao or wait till 10 am!

Vizag has been a revelation. See this for more details of what all one could do here. For one, it has hills, mountains and numerous beaches, which are largely undiscovered. The place has nice cafes in the city amongst other things. We were there on work and hence did not get around much. But we did go to Rishikonda beach, which is quite good and then Kailasagiri, which would perhaps fit better into a gult movie with the heroine prancing around trees. But the place rocks in terms of serenity. My hotel room had an awesome view of the sea and the service at the Grand Bay hotel was excellent. So we were pleased with the entire experience. Strongly recommend a visit. However due to the rough sea, non swimmers are requested to exercise caution. I have taken a few pics which shall be uploaded soon. If you want to see them, mail me.

Also managed to finish off the 1st volume of Collected Plays by Karnad. There was this kid next to me on the flight back to Hyd, who was accompanied by her grandma. They were on their way to the US as the grandma explained to me, in broken english. The kid was cute, about 2 years old. She spilt chocolate cake all over the seat and then tried to clean it up with some cover she had. She asked me to open her water bottle. Actually she just gave me the bottle (the std 200 ml one you get on planes) then gestured with one palm with all fingers shaped as if gripping a cap and then shaking her head from side to side, indicating the futility of her attempts. Very cute :) Well, we love kids and most things they do.

Managed to see a movie called Eulogy which is a good weekend watch.

This stay in Hyd coupled with my visits is giving me a gult complex ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home