Thursday, May 17, 2007

Going Postal and I am a Pterry!

I finished my first book by Terry Pratchett and am some way through Terry's 1st in the DiscWorld series "The Color Of Magic."

I have read most of Guards, Guards! sometime ago and didn't finish it since I didn't know where I had stopped!

But here is the deal. Terry is the most amusing, inventive and wickedly humorous author I have read since Douglas Adams. Only Jasper Fforde in recent times comes close on inventiveness and he does not write for humour.

Going Postal is a must read for Pterries and a delight for people like me who take refuge from real life in fantasy fiction, especially laughing madly in the middle of the night (My mom actually comes up and checks if I am ok. She recommends that I should drink some water!) and generally love a good tale.

Going Postal is the story of a criminal without hope, Moist Von Lipwig who's given the choice of death by hanging or reviving the Post Office. The humour will just make you disintegrate. Too many comic setpieces. Too delightful to miss. Please read and enjoy and spread the joy.

Terry is the man.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dhammaniac,
I see you've been Pratchetted! I remember reading one several years back, and was hooked, lined and sinkered. Still need to purchase some of the newer ones in the series though. Without a doubt, he's in my list of Top 5 authors, across genres. Wanted to pick up Ffordes in Chennai, probably the next time around.

5/20/2007 9:38 PM  
Blogger Rishi said...

Bwahahahaa. Finally, you have succumbed. Learn to deal with it. He's not going to leave you any time soon. Try Small Gods next.

5/21/2007 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home