Sunday, July 15, 2007

Monsoon of Discontent

Sometime last year, I had begun teaching English at a nearby school almost once in three weeks for about 2 hours on Saturdays.

Around the same time, when I had shared some problems I was facing with teaching with one of my favourite teachers from school, she had suggested that my teaching had to complement what was already being done by the existing teachers. It is quite frustrating to see what is imparted (or rather not imparted) to the kids by the allocated staff. In fact, I began teaching with the belief that whatever I did would be an upside. Now, I am not so sure any more.

The dilemma is this. After a little over half a year, I stopped coming to Bangalore as regularly, although I still did end up in Bangalore atleast once every month. Thus, I stopped going to the school. Over the last 2 months or so, I have been in Bangalore almost completely except for 1 weekend. When I started working on the current project, I rationalized by telling myself that it was the beginning of the summer vacations for the kids and the schools would be empty. However that is now past and the kids are back in class. If I become irregular again in my attendance, I believe that the kids would suffer from a lack of continuity which is crucial to teaching younger students. However, if I stay away from the school, I am plagued by the thought of not doing my bit even when I am in Bangalore.

This should resolve itself soon, when I complete the moving of my base back to Bangalore for the third time in 8 years, although my job still takes me to random cities, subject to project.

I have frequently pondered the question of when to return to teaching at the school. Thus, I have returned to just thinking and not doing. Add to that, the uncertainty of flights home on Saturdays which don’t exactly get you home in time, leave alone time to get to the school.

Invite any wise readers to help resolve this.

4 Comments:

Blogger nousernames4me said...

Hey Dhammo , hope you are doing well and remember me (Samarth from IBM).Thats a really nice project you have ventured on .A thought - Try to create something like a trainers manual consisting of all details you would like to cover and a training/teaching plan breaking it up day wise .Then share it with someone who you could use for a back up . Boss you are the transition guy ,this should be a cup of coffee for u :)
Lemme know if yours truly can help.
Cheers !

7/18/2007 1:03 AM  
Blogger D said...

samarth,
tere mail id se to bounce aa gaya.
send me your web id

7/22/2007 11:34 PM  
Blogger nousernames4me said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/23/2007 2:21 AM  
Blogger nousernames4me said...

edit : boss mail me at samarth27@yahoo.com instead of any other id

8/02/2007 5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home