Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cheeni Kum

After more than a month or longer than I can remember, I went to a theatre to see a movie. Since I am usually very particular about the movies I see, picking one these days is not always easy. I picked this one since I have seen some of Balki’s advertising work and liked it.

Balki’s maiden attempt at tinseltown is quite a packet. My favourite is Zohra Sehgal’s character and her fixation of going to the gym to attract girls!
Next is definitely Tabu’s character who provides arguments in the case for a fascination with older women  Her sense of humour in the movie is mostly backed by some excellent timing.

Amitabh’s character is very patchy and is likeable in parts. Unlike Tabu’s part, there is more than one avoidable scene with unnecessary melodrama.
Paresh Rawal’s character is mostly underdeveloped and mostly stereotypical. I rather liked Tabu.

The character of the leukemia kid is something I find unpalatable. It is fairly easy to get a kid to mouth dialogue which is cute, when uttered by a kid and silly when spoken by an adult. I refuse to like this one. But if entertainment is what you want, the kid’s character provides plenty.

There is some patchy cinematography towards the end when the colours all but disappear and the kid and Amitabh are on this bench, intended to create an atmosphere of nostalgia which somehow seems half baked, but otherwise is very much trademark PC Sreeram and mostly fantastic, save for the above mentioned anomaly.
And the characters in the restaurant especially the one with the buck teeth lend some laughs to a fairly pleasant movie.

Cheeni Kum is definitely worth a try

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Vikram said...

How about a review of Shivaji - The BOSS? Is it on your plan?

6/16/2007 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home