Saturday, February 13, 2010

Strand Book Stall Sale - Part II

Walked around the sale to my heart's content. Even dropped 2 books (both plays by Mark Twain) from the final purchase list. So here are the ones I picked up today. Will need to maintain a strict vigil on the wallet for the next quarter unless some enormous unexpected fortune surprises me...

Don't know much about Mythology by Kenneth C Davis*
Education of a wandering man by Louis L'Amour (autobiography)
The Ayatollah begs to differ by Hooman Majd
Hitchhiker by MJ Simpson (biography of Douglas Adams)
The Richness of Life (The Essential Stephen Jay Gould) by Stephen Jay Gould
Robbing the Bees by Holley Bishop (a biography of honey)
The Island of the Colour Blind by Oliver Sacks
Remembering Mr. Shawn's New Yorker by Ved Mehta(sort of biography)
The Road Well Travelled by Bob Hope (autobiography)

Also dropped a book on the history of wood (Wood: Craft, Culture, History by Harvey Green - very similar to the story of honey) y'day when I was at the sale :(

And yes, I noticed a little late that there is not a single work of fiction among these!

Now to read some of them...

* (slightly embarrassing dummy series kind of book, but would still have more myth than I have in my head! For ex., I noticed that it has African myth of which I have next to zero knowledge save for Egyptian myth)

Update: The book on mythology does not have anything on African myth beyond Egyptian myth. So much for my hopes :(

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Orcaella brevirostris said...

if you haven't already, and if it's on sale, i would highly recommend r. guha's "india after gandhi".

2/14/2010 4:43 AM  
Blogger D said...

i have read the book and it is not at the sale :(

actually the sale does not have too many bargains, but there are a few titles you wouldn't usually notice...

2/14/2010 5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home