Thursday, September 02, 2010

Saint Ralph

St. Jude (patron saint of lost causes)
St. Bruno (patron saint against possession)
St. Anthony the Abbot (patron saint of gravediggers)
St. Thomas Aquinas (the patron saint of apologists)
Saint Catherine of Siena (patron saint of fire prevention)
.
.
.
1 for each month of training for Ralph, a 14 year old who thinks his winning the Boston Marathon will be the miracle needed to make his mother awaken from her coma.
Specially endearing if you want to run Boston some day.

Directed by Michael McGowan, winner of the 1995 Detroit Marathon as well as the 1995 Round the Bay Race (apparently North America's oldest race, predating even Boston by 3 years)*, the movie is a charming tale of an ordinary kid with extraordinary persistence.

Nice quote from the movie here:

"If we're not chasing after miracles, what's the point, huh?"

And of course, the awesome rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah by Gord Downie (don't see the youtube video, since it has the ending of the movie)...

...
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah
...

Excellent viewing for a holiday especially in my current mood

* HT to IMDB

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home