Monday, January 16, 2012

Books read & other interesting things on my train trip to Mumbai

Ok, fine, I didn't exactly read The Burma Chronicles by Guy DeLisle on the train but while I was packing, but WTH... It is a lovely read and has great sketching. I recommend it strongly and will give Vaish a hug for lending her book to me.

I also managed to read (on the train) The map that changed the world by Simon Winchester (who is now amongst my favourite authors) about William Smith, whose incredible story is inspiring, funny, poignant by turns. For someone who realized geology can be so interesting only due to the attention bestowed on it by Bill Bryson in his book, William Smith's story is an eye-opener. Fantastic read.

Am also finishing Adil Jussawalla's Trying to Say Goodbye (poetry collection) thanks to my man, Jerry, who got me a signed copy (Woo hoo!). Nice read if you like poetry. Nice read, even if you don't. Not a bad book to start reading poetry anyways.

And finally, Six Impossible Things before Breakfast by Lewis Wolpert moves off my "Books I am currently reading" list after spending some two years on it! Extremely smooth writing and convincing arguments by the author. Must read! For those who find Dawkins' a little too in-your-face and hence perhaps not very readable, Wolpert presents a much smoother & hence better digestible stance on why we believe what we believe, how we develop those beliefs, etc.

I guess one of the cooler experiences on this trip was to meet this 60-yr old priest who solves the Rubik's cube in less than 3 minutes on my way back. He gave multiple demos of the same :) And he is quite tech-savvy too.

Now, to finish off the Honourable Company sometime soon...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger J Ramanand said...

Did I mention Six Impossible Things... to you? (just so that I can feel a little vindicated about that choice :) ). It's a nice book, indeed.

1/21/2012 6:12 PM  
Blogger D said...

:)
On this rare occasion, I bought this book based on its mention by Dawkins or someone else in a similar context on religion, etc. Been holding it for a while. Finally managed to get around to finishing it

1/21/2012 11:42 PM  
Blogger J Ramanand said...

Wolpert has another book which I've been meaning to read, called "Malignant Sadness". It's about depression, something he personally suffered.

1/21/2012 11:53 PM  
Blogger D said...

Didn't know he had written much else till I started on this book. Now I want to read that one too, but for a different reason. When you read my book you will know why...

On a sort of tangent, I discovered Robert McCrum, who wrote a wonderful biography of Wodehouse (I might have never picked it up had it not been about Wodehouse). And then I bumped into his autobiographical "My Year Off" when I was sort of thinking of my sabbatical. It turned out to be quite a nice book. You should check that out

1/22/2012 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home