Wednesday, January 02, 2013

My profile as a runner



I am 34 years old. I used to work as a manager in a premier Management Consulting firm until last year. I just found running more enjoyable and quit my job to become a full-time coach. I have been running for over 11 years. I had no running history before 2001. For that matter, nobody in my family has ever played any sport with any competence. I used to be a plump kid for a while. Then I just grew up to become a fat adult. I just decided to change this one fine day. So I know what it is to train as an ordinary person who has no sporting history. I have run 16 marathons and run a half marathon at least once a week (sometimes two). I started with a half marathon in 2 hours 34 minutes in 2004 and a full marathon in 2005 (in 5 hours 4 minutes) with little training or even an idea on how to train. I just ran them on a whim. So I began training since I thought I could improve with training. As recently as in 2009, I ran 10K in 47 minutes and 51 seconds.

However I ran without a coach till January 2011. My best marathon till then was in 4 hours.
In 2011, I found an amazing coach and trained under him in the US. I ran 2 half marathons in about 1 hour 30 minutes each and a full marathon in just 3 hours 10 minutes, qualifying for the Boston Marathon.

My personal bests as of 1st Jan 2013 are

5K - 18:38
10K - 39:45 (I am yet to race just a 10K. This was run as part of an 18 miler)#
HM - 1:30:12  (I am yet to race just a HM. This was run as part of a full marathon)#
FM - 3:09:46

I would love to show you what you can do with targeted training.

I have trained several batches of runners with a broad range of abilities for 5Ks, 10Ks, half and full marathons both in India & overseas.

I love to run. It has changed my life. It could change yours too.

One of my trainees who is Singapore based, came up with interesting names for my coaching options - remote and on location in Bangalore. He calls the remote model (email/telephone based) as the "Ekalavya" model and the on-location one as "Arjuna" model. I have loved the terms enough to quickly appropriate them



* I don't coach on Fri.
#  Although I have run both a 10K and HM in India, I run much faster in cold weather. I am a bit of a wimp in warm weather

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home