Saturday, December 01, 2012

Relief at the end of training

I am set to run in the California International Marathon 2012 in less than 24 hrs from now. As I was taking my shower, I was considering how I feel about this weather situation at the start of my race as well as at the finish. Admittedly I am bugged since 20+ mph headwinds with heavy rain is not the ideal weather for a PB.

I have laboured for about 2 years now in the quest to beat my times, with training (I have been running for over 11 years now). My 1st salvo was a surprising success at the Avenue of the Giants Marathon 2011 when I dipped below 3:10 in a race meant to be a tune up for the race at R'n'R San Diego 2011 five weeks later. I pulled a hamstring in that sub 3:10 attempt at around mile 17 and never recovered for San Diego. I hated the race as I pulled both hamstrings in San Diego somewhere b/w mile 18-20.

I then put things together again for Grandma's earlier this year but the weather was unusual - 68F at start, rising to 73F by mile 17 or so and then dropping off towards the end of my race. I finished in a painful 3:20 (painful since I was chasing 3:08) and had chosen Grandma for the supposedly flat course and cool weather.

And now this!

CIM is a popular qualifier for Boston aspirants but it looks like the weather gods don't like me. But then you know what happened to NYCM 2012.

And I know that I am not racing a marathon till Berlin 2013, which gives me another attempt to sneak into Boston 2014, if all things fall in place.

All of this is to just emphasize the fact that whatever the result, the end of the training period is primarily accompanied by relief. You may be happy for a few days/weeks etc if the result is favourable but you are relieved whatever the outcome. And if you are a long distance runner, your perspective needs to be one of a long term too. Else you are still weighed down by ego and other petty matters. And each race has only added to my knowledge of what could help me get faster. Until last year I was beset by performance anxiety where I worried not being fast enough to run a sub 3:10 once I get older. That is bunkum. I am much faster than I have been ever before and I already know how to clip another min or 2 from my current times. As long as you train and stay focussed, you will improve. If the weather is good, you will do well. If not, train again. Bring on Berlin!

Breathe easy - 1 step in front of the other.

Good Luck to everyone running the CIM, SCSCM, Shanghai Marathon, Wipro Chennai Marathon and anyone just having a run!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Harish said...

Great perspective, D. Congrats on the strong 3:09 finish. Phenomenal considering the weather. Take a well deserved break before Berlin. Cheers.

12/02/2012 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home