Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Javadhu Hills Ultra 2015 – race report and a few other things

The last time I ran over a marathon, it was at the Bangalore Ultra 2010. I had actually run from Pune to Lonavla as part of my prep for the 75K at that race but then a lot happened in late 2010 and the first half of 2011. I decided to not risk injury and stop at 50K in that race, since I had already planned to run the SCMM 2011 and then leave for my sabbatical, which eventually led to my first ever BQ. That's a separate story! (Actually I have a book draft on it, if you are interested. I am still looking for a publisher)

I signed up for JHU 2015 partly to test my prep for the Bangalore Ultra 2015, where I intend to run the 75K, but mostly because it was a trail race. The pictures from last year's edition were way too enticing (more on that soon). I managed to con my friend, Athreya (A) also to sign up. We did 3 training long runs (that's all we had time for)  - 2 double headers of Nandi and 1 visit to Mysore Road via Uttarahalli, all hilly routes. I also had more than 8 weeks of 45-50 miles each. I thought I was ready.

The race organizers are overflowing with enthusiasm. I mean it. If you stand next to one of them, you will get soaked in it. Don't take my word for it. Stand next to Peter and the rest of his CTC gang. A shower won't be enough to wash all that enthusiasm from them! They did a great job of everything from bib distribution to water stops to cheering to medal distribution and food. And this odd mention is mostly since they were partly the reason such a tough experience was bearable.

A and I had driven from Bangalore. We got to the venue early and killed time by reading books. We slept at the school, as did most of our fellow runners. I had gotten food for myself. So I didn't eat what the organizers provided. I finished my dinner by 7 pm. On race morning, I woke up at 2:30 am to ensure I could go the loo, without having to wait. That didn't go so well. So I tried again at 3. Same result. Body wasn't responding to a lack of coffee :( 1st error in race planning.

I had breakfast anyways and was ready to go by 4 am. A and I headed to the start and hung around till everyone else arrived.

The race started almost on time at 5 am. All of us had been asked to carry torches for at least the first hour since it was dark. At least a couple of runners ahead of us ran without them and seemed to do well anyways. I had taken my cycle head lamp which can be used as a torch but I had never run with it. Since I had to point the beam ahead most of the time, my shoulder began to strain by the 3rd mile or so. 2nd error in training. By the 5th mile, it was bright enough and I left the torch at the aid station and my shoulder promptly recovered. I usually don't carry a water bottle for my training runs. That also seemed to spoil my rhythm a bit but I can't say much since I did carry it on my 3 long runs.

I basically ran with A for most of the first 8 miles or so, after which he picked up a bit and I stayed behind at a pace I felt I could keep up till the finish. We had only just spoken perhaps half a dozen times till that point, which is why running with A is so much fun. So essentially it felt like a solo run. My aim was to run about 4:15 hours with almost even splits. I had decided so although the course profile was net downhill on the way back, since I wasn't sure how I would handle the increased temperature. One unexpected mishap was that I had packed my salt pills in my handheld water bottle's pouch but somehow some of them had melted as they had been soaked. So I was forced to consume the remaining lest they meet the same fate. Due to this, I delayed consuming my two gels by a bit. I was planning one each at 15K or so, while punctuating the time b/w them with salt pills. Since I was already getting some electrolyte thru the aid stations and now my salt pills, I held on to my gels.

I had a pleasant surprise in the form of my trainee, Edwin who took pictures along the course, sometime before the halfway mark. I gave him a quick high-five and carried on. Small world!

By halfway, A was about 2 min ahead but there were 3 other runners ahead (1 of whom turned out to be in the 75K but I didn't know that). I passed the closest one quickly after the halfway within a minute of the turnaround. Since the 2 lead runners had taken off real fast, I thought I might even catch one of them (I did catch the 75K runner on the return leg but that turned out to irrelevant) as I expected that pace wasn't sustainable. 

I also passed Murali, who was running the 25K and looked solid. 

I was actually singing to myself at the 20 mile mark. I had had the first of my 2 gels and it was clearly kicking in and my pace was good. I clearly remember the time on my watch at 2:39 hrs and some seconds for 20 miles.. And that's important because the next moment I was on the ground! I had hit a stone in the ground and stumbled. My knee bled a bit and I scraped some skin off my left palm. Since I had landed with my water bottle, I crushed it under my weight and it emptied. The gel sachet in my other hand also hit the ground and got all muddy. I felt awful at this point and took about a minute to assess damage. And then I resumed, a little shaken but reasonably ok.

At this point, the best part of my run happened. A man in a shirt and dhoti began running next to me. We began talking. Turns out his name is Mohan and he had competed as a polevaulter in Tamil Nadu before some motorist hit his calf/achilles tendon and put an unfortunate end to his career. Mohan kept up with me for about 2k. We discussed running. He asked me how many guys were ahead of me and what distance I was running. He asked me if that's what I did for a living. He explained he hadn't done much physical activity for almost 2 years. I recommended what he could do to ease back into running. Then he asked me to carried on. I did. He caught me later after having a hitched a ride with one of the many motorcycle borne volunteers. He then ran ~2K more with me. Then we waved me off. I later found out he ran with several other runners incl. Ramesh, who finished right behind me. I also pointed out Ramesh to Mohan as inspiration. Ramesh is supposedly 46 but as I told him, I think his birth certificate is fudged. He doesn't look a shade over 40! But back to Mohan. I told him that if he could keep up with me as he did with zero training, in 6 months he will be in good shape if he kept running regularly. I hope he does.

At around the 34K mark, my stomach began to hurt a bit mostly due to cramps having not managed my loo visit properly, and I slowed down. I washed myself a bit at the next aid station, esp to get mud off my knee and bottle and also refill the bottle. At the 40K mark, I felt good as I still had ~55 minutes to complete a 10K to hit my target of 4:15. All good. And then I came off the trail to hit open road in the sun.

My race just came apart within minutes of being exposed to the sun. My core function was impaired due to my stomach. I even tried dry heaving but clearly my digestive functions were ok but the core muscles were compromised. I had to suck up and walk most of the way to the finish. I did fret a bit to myself about the possibility that someone may pass me before the finish. Some kids on the way ran ahead of me and then a mom and her daughter gave me company for about half a km. I managed to jog a bit but at 12-13 minutes a mile, it is perhaps better to walk. So I did. I did have half of my 2nd gel sometime around the 40km mark as well and then threw away the remaining into the bin at the next aid station as I felt I couldn't digest much of it anyways.

When I was about half a mile from the finish, I began to pick up a bit since I knew my suffering was over. A few moments later I realized I had overshot the turn to the finish (this happened to multiple runners) by a bit. A few boys did point out the right way but I thought they were perhaps recommending a short cut! I turned back soon enough and ran to the finish line. My day was made when another boy casually extended his hand and presented a white lotus to me, just before the finish line!

As I finished, Peter gave me my medal. Turns out A (who had won, by finishing ~11 min ahead) hadn't received his medal till then! I told him that must be since he must have shocked the organizers by finishing so fast. I also found out as I settled down that A had paced Jim (who finished 2nd) from the 35km mark or so till the 47th km as Jim had begun suffering like I expected he would. While we chatted at the finish, Jim said A saved his race by dropping to give him company and ensuring he recovered from his dizziness. That's expected from A. I can't imagine him racing away while a fellow runner suffered.

I had a nap for about an hour at the finish. Surprisingly I couldn't eat for a bit as I had trouble swallowing. A got me water and I eventually got myself 2 idlis, taking almost 45 min to eat them.

When I look back at this activity on Garmin, I realize that even the stones on the route (which were quite painful to the underside of my feet - almost like a "tough love" treatment for plantar fasciitis) didn't slow me down as much as my "morning coffee related complication". I had emerged relatively ok with just 1 whole gel and loads of electrolyte on the course and perhaps just 1 litre of plain water. I did lie down for a few minutes when I finished but I wasn't reeling or anything.
Also, the course seemed a bit short but not one of the participants were complaining!

There's still lots of work to be done in preparation for the 75K in Nov, but I have time. I hope to do better soon.

In hindsight JHU was not as per expectations - but mostly in a "there's lots to learn" way. The race last year was run in Nov in wet conditions and the course looked prettier (and was much tougher apparently since the ground was wet and muddy and hence slippery). This year, it was warm and the stones on the course which account for perhaps 40% of the route, do make it hard to run on. Not planning for hot drinking water in the morning can really undo months of good mileage and training. If ever, you think you are suffering in a race despite training, know that your fellow runners will be hurting too! And never feel too sorry for yourself. There's always someone way more gifted but a lot less luck in life. Be grateful for what you have and run on.

I'll remember JHU for several reasons - the infectious CTC folks, the white lotus, Mohan, fellow runners cheering even while they were still suffering and of course the drums at the finish line! Until the next one ...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Harish said...

Great race report. Glad to see you made it through alright.
And really good to see you enjoy running/racing and basking in the joy of a small, intimate off-road run.

7/14/2015 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home