Sunday, August 21, 2005

Landmark Largesse

I utilized my landmark vouchers to redeem myself of not having read enough classic fiction by buying the following y'day. Its the largest no of books I ever bought at once
1. freakonomics
2. the kite runner by khaled hosseini
3. blink
4. tipping point
5. the true history of the kelly gang
6. the old man and the sea
7. the tin drum by grass
8. lolita
9. the unbearable lightness of being
10. one man's bible by gao
11. american pastoral by philip roth
12. the bell by iris murdoch
13. slaughterhouse 5 by vonnegut
14. beyond a boundary by clr james (a classic book on cricket)
15. the sound and the fury by faulkner
16. ideas that have worked

the last one above is published by the indian govt (dept of administrative reforms and public grievances). i had seen it on my previous visit to madras at odyssey and had been unable to find it in bangalore until y'day (primarily due to my searching it under an incorrect title). was very happy to find it. it has essays by some change agents in india starting with kalam, nrn, premji, mashelkar, kurien, ela bhatt, swaminathan, etc. its the only hard bound book i bought and the most expensive, but i doubt if it will ever published in paperback. should be a great read.

arthur and george by julian barnes was priced at 930 and i felt that was too much in addition to being in hard bound form. i dont usually buy hard bound books.
the sea by iris murdoch was unavailable.

let me start reading some now!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Rishi said...

Nice. Congrats about the Landmark victory, and thanks for the wishes. I will send you a longish reply once I have some time.

8/23/2005 3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home