Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mumbai Half Marathon 2009

Finished in 2:02 or so.
Almost happy.
Quite an uneventful race and thankfully so.

Update: The above 3 lines were penned from a personal standpoint. There were some nice things I will remember this race for. Someone I advised and coached (via a combination of google talk and mobile phone calls) completed his 1st marathon under the 6 hr limit. Considering he was a half marathoner until 2 months ago, that is astounding. The fact that I could coach something to someone gives me great confidence. Now I have advised or coached people to a 5k, 10k, half and full marathons. Also, after 7 years of having begun running, I ran a race feeling tentative. My heart stopped for a moment somewhere around the 15-16 km mark when I felt a slight twitch in my abdomen. I thought I had blown it. Thankfully, it proved to be just a twitch and never bothered me again. Phew!

Like most other races, I ran this race mostly alone and with my head down most of the race, just to stay focussed and sang to myself occasionally. And running down Peddar Road at a 4:45 min/km pace was quite unbelievable. I have a new term for myself. I am a Peddaro (go figure!). I don't remember doing this even when I was fitter. Friends of mine set super PBs during this race. I have enough inspiration in the tank to finally go and kick myself to a PB at Mumbai next yr. Felt very queasy post-race when I had bun-maska and fruit salad (chilled!) at Hotel New Excelsior (parsi kind of joint serving serious non-veg food incl. Lebanese...) An hr later, that stupid feeling disappeared after a fine filter coffee made by the dear wife (H) of a friend. God bless her soul. It took about 2 mins for me to feel better. I need to remember to not forget my coffee before a race. This is one of those rare ones when I forgot coffee. Also, drove around Bombay like mad, for the 1st time in multiple visits. Thanks to the lovely HM (my pal from L) for making my trip memorable

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger meghsuds said...

I think you did great.

Hopefully, I can do a good half next year

P.s. baby sitting offers are welcome

1/20/2009 2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home