Sunday, July 25, 2010

Random Musings during Sunday run

I did something which is a strict no-no on a long run today. Didn't fuel up before the run. All I had was my customary filter coffee before I started.

At around 23 km, massive hunger set in. I had had only fruits for both lunch and dinner y'day (not being able to go out due to the wretched rain). So calorie-wise, I must have been sub 1200 or so y'day. And to burn out 1500 calories shocks your system.

I don't know know if you are used to hallucinating over food. I am. In each of the ultras, I have had this overwhelming feeling of wanting to eat something. Today while running towards Haji Ali I just saw the Cadbury's office and that triggered a bout of craving for chocolate! In a few mins, that was followed by a bout of nausea. I had to stop and then slowly pick up. Still no food. But stomach went back to normal.

The above prompted a guilt trip on how I can barely manage to stay hungry. When I was younger I used to fast without water even for over 24 hrs once every few months. Now I guess I can't do it especially if I am running. My body fat (which was a lot in those days) is going down now. So there are no reserves to burn. Body gets down to glucose in less than 2 hours.

God bless the poor, hungry souls who don't even have a meal a day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home