Friday, September 30, 2011

Landmark Sale - first pickings

Went somewhat tentatively to the Landmark sale today (1st day). I needn't have worried about burning a hole in my pocket, given my unemployment status. The selection of books is not very good as it has been in the past. Although there are books available at Rs. 50 (mostly old foreign magazines) and Rs. 99 (fiction), Rs.199 seems to be more common as a discounted price. Given my bargain hunting tendencies, I was not biting much.

However still managed to pick up the two below

Aman Sethi's A Free Man (Jerry was raving about it - reason enough)...The jacket says "Mohammed Ashraf has studied biology in college and after college has learnt how to repair television sets, cut suit lengths and slice chicken... How can you not want to read further? 
The Genius Factory by David Plotz (subtitled "Unravelling the mysteries of the Nobel Prize sperm bank")... For those who didn't know, an eccentric millionaire in CA tried to reverse what he saw as the country's genetic decline by using the sperms of geniuses and artificially inseminating women... Read the book to know the rest. I had read about the book years ago in the TLS and perhaps heard a radio program also about it - The nutcase theme seemed a worthy read!

Thanks to some Landmark loyalty points, spent only a total of 267 on both books. Now to start reading...I might just return to the sale if my CITIBANK credit card points add up in time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home