Thursday, May 26, 2005

Me, Myself and the Capital Market

A long time ago, a friend of mine told me about this site called www.virtualstockexchange.com where one could start with $500,000 of virtual money and maintain a portfolio of stocks which were matched to real market prices. It was a fantastic place for practice. I learnt to shortsell, buy long, use margins, etc. And I had no awareness before I tried this. But I had my gut and those were the heydays of 2000-2001 when tech was king! I went up to a million dollars in abt 2 weeks (My friend made it to $ 5 mn in abt a month, but he used to live in London then and had greater time to watch and maniupulate the market and well he's smart!). I soon lost interest as trades materialized only in 20 mins and it was in US time. So I had to stay back in office and watch my stocks or wait for slow dialup at home. And besides I had to work. I used to manage a maximum of about 3 or 4 trades a day (abt an hr of trading) and then leave for home. So much for the virtual world. There are some such sites in India too.

I finally entered the real market today and bought 2 shares over which I made a net profit of Rs. 5! Obviously I didn't invest a lot, but it was great to have a positive start. And the excitement of doing something new was good fun.

I am an adrenalin junkie. Need something to keep me excited in life. And the capital markets provide a lot of things including adrenalin by the second. Wish me luck and loads of money :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Senthil said...

Adrenaline... hmmm... that still fails to explain the spitting contests at three in the morning en route to KREC... and since we are on the subject, I would also suggest speed. As in velocity, except that this would be a scalar. I mean, not the drug. Erm... you get the idea...

Oh, and there is this little search box that appears bang on top of the text on your blog... you might want to check it out.

5/27/2005 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home