Sunday, April 10, 2005

Chai!

Ek Garam Chai ki pyaali ho, aur usko pilaane waali ho?
I can quite imagine how James Jackson must have asked Madonna for some chai – Behenji, ek chai milega!? I don’t know what specifically captured my attention here, but this piece of news, serves to reinforce my argument on the ephemeral nature of physical beauty (which I have discussed a while ago in my blog on Women). Madonna has been amongst the most physically attractive women of our times (atleast she’s been mentioned more in that context than any other) and perhaps only Sharon Stone has been mentioned for her IQ amongst other attractive women. But even that has been overhyped. It isn’t difficult at all to get an IQ score of around 150 - Trust me, I know!

And then the chai part, triggered off a rush of memories about my 4 years at engineering. I spent my engineering life, drinking not less than half a dozen chais daily, at Lingam’s and Nagu’s, by the highway side, opposite the college entrance in Trichy. Lingam and Nagu, were as much a part of my life as anyone in those fantastic 4 years. So much so, that in the rare event that it rained in Trichy and I couldn’t make my customary walk to GATE and back in the day, Nagu would ask – Yeah Tambi varale? (translated from Tamil to mean – “Why didn’t you come brother?” However tambi is a loosely used word, somewhat like the way, blacks use “brother.” Just like another Tamil word “mapillai,” which means “Groom.” For a rather detailed Tamil primer, click here. Anyways, Lingam was Nagu’s son and an alcoholic. Lingam made better tea than Nagu and sold a lot more too. However the moment he had earned enough in about 10 days, he’d spend the next week or so, getting drunk. The last I heard, he was in rehab and Nagu was taking care of his grandkids.

And the reason GATE was in CAPS and bold, was to remind me of a PJ which was commonly sprung on unsuspecting guys by a lot of guys in my batch, when someone would pop – Abey gate chalega kya? (translated from Hindi to mean – “Hey, will you come with me to the gate? (literally translated, it means “Hey, Will the gate move?!”) and then we would reply, “Gate to wahin khada rehta hain, kahin nahin chalega!” (the gate is stationary and doesn’t move anywhere) and snigger to no end!

And the tea- kadai (kadai pronounced as in cud – eye , meaning outlet) experience is almost generic. Ask the IITM guys about Taram’s (short for Taramani guest house). There are several tea shops outside the gate near Taramani guest house. Apparently the business is so big that there are huge sums of money involved in getting the right to run business there. And the operators change every year or two! But then that’s another story!

I am all teary eyed and overwhelmed with emotion about those glorious 4 years and shall get off here and return along the trail. You Carry On Trekking (which could have been a great title for a Star Trek spoof from our friends at Pinewood Studios) ;) Thanx!

4 Comments:

Blogger anantha said...

Dude.. those bajji's that used to be sold opposite ur GATE. We used to look for to Festi for that one reason ;)

4/11/2005 8:48 AM  
Blogger D said...

Don't know whether to feel good abt the bajji memory or to feel bad that you didn't remember festember for the quizzes we did:(
btw, PSG tech won the overall last yr. Whither goes shanmugha of the Anti and badri fame!?

4/11/2005 8:59 AM  
Blogger anantha said...

See, we could afford to look forward to bajjis for the whole year, but looking forward to Festi quizzes one whole would have put a HUGE dent on our already suffering acads. So for the greater common good of our families, we decided to take the quizzes one at a time, much like I would advice Saurav Ganguly now - take it one game at a time ;)
And its a truth universally acknowledged by every shanmugha student who has been to Festi that those particular couple of days each yr were the best days of our college life.
And I think you give the three of us too much credit. Btw, its three I wouldn't want to leave Sunil out of this. But i guess he was not too big on fraternizing, so you did not get to know him. He was the kingpin, while the other two of us were the public faces ;)

4/12/2005 2:01 PM  
Blogger anantha said...

you set me off down memory lane with that comment :)

I guess the decline, if you please, is mostly due to the apparent disbanding of the quiz club. Atleast I dunno if it exists now. The faculty brains behind it is now at Banglore working on her PhD. She was the one who usually picked the 40 member team(with atleast 10 from our quiz club). I dunno if they have such a system now in place. Moreover the management always frowned upon student led efforts, so faculty support/initiative was what made our teams do as well as they did...

4/12/2005 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home