Monday, January 16, 2006

Mumbai Marathon 2006

4 hr 42 min!

Almost a year of waiting to break the 4 hr barrier and attempting to wrest the family record from bada bhai, but quite a humbling failure. Those were my thoughts during the race.

First the guys from Indian Express approached me after spotting me finish and seeing my bandanna. Atleast they knew who Manju was and were curious. This was one of the major motivations for the run. That alone washed away any misgivings I had had during the race. They listened to me patiently and made notes. I only saw the article this morning and noticed just one inaccuracy. I did tell them that my own football record was largely unillustrious and I just ran around mostly, which is why I only run these days. They did laugh at it, but the article doesn’t reflect that. But then they gave Manju more than 2 columns, without anyone asking and they stuck to the right facts about Manju (his uprightness, his nature and the fact that his family and us want justice to be done. So THANK YOU INDIAN EXPRESS for this. THANK YOU SANDEEP, SUDHIR and the photographer.

Now for the run!
The day began very early, since Ravikiran was running in the half marathon. So we decided to skimp on our own taxi money and join them. Saw a lot of young people this time and more people for the marathon than perhaps last year. There were also the mandatory pretty young things, but this time we were out for timing and honestly did not pay attention to any such thing.

There were the assorted army guys, the athletes, but not too many people from the Sappers or we did not see them. We do recognize a few of the those fleet footed gentlemen. Then there were the navymen with INS VIRAT caps, the army men from the ASI, the yuppies from MUMBAI, lots of sportspeople from various institutes, etc. One ragpicker called out for me and said, Hey Uncle, aaj ke racing match me na, first aane ka. Best of luck! We said thank you and thought that it is a good sign. This time, they almost had a running start. We promptly took off. 1km in 3 min 55 secs, 2nd km in 7 min 57 secs, 3rd km in 12 mins 45 secs, 4th in 17 mins. We thought we should slow down a little. Didn’t know whom to tag. Did shout and wave to all RFLers who were running like they do. Steadily. We have a style difference. Finally when I made the turn off Marine Drive, I had done 6 km in 28 mins. That is a good pace by my own standards.

Since I had already done the Peddar Road stretch on Friday, I did not have much trouble negotiating the incline, which is a frequent undoer of most runners. At the halfway mark, I had taken less than a hr. In fact at 12 km, I had taken 58 mins. My split timings as on the cert are

14.1 km 1 hr 10 mins
23.2 km 2 hr 3 mins
32.5 km 3 hr 17
Finish or 42.1 4 hr 42

Pace 8.98 km per hr

What it does not say is that I did 31 km in 3 hrs. That by the time I returned from the Bandra reclamation, I was well on my way to giving up, since the heat was unbearable. Bhasker, one of those kind souls urged me on while he was still making his way to the last stretch before the U turn, saying that I know this is the toughest part, Don’t give up. Keep running. But my man for the day is Deepak, Vijay's pal, who simply stuck to me from kms 26 or so till about 32, ensuring that I didn’t stop, dropping his pace for me and being a true runner. Thanks to him, I did finish.

There were some very touching memories. There were some angelic kids along the road in Prabha Devi who were extending their hands out to me and asking me to touch their hands as if I were some star athlete. I was almost falling off, but then how can you deny these kids. If I had had the energy, I would have hugged each one of them. They were so kicked and exclaimed in Marathi, Gujarati. Hindi & English when I did. I felt like the man who wears his red underwear outside. There were the rare few who did read my bandanna and exclaimed, Arre Manju kaun hai! There were the tourists from England along Worli Seaface in front of the Worli Milk Dairy, who exclaimed keep it up, yeah! Then there were the dignified Mumbai high society complete with purple scarf around the straw hat and dark sunglasses who were applauding, till I crossed them. All this makes ascending flyovers easy. There were several families out on Peddar Road who cheered my number along. There were people who brought their own juices and sealed plastic water glasses along and were handing them out. There was even the occasional policeman who applauded. There were fellow participants from other countries in the opposite direction, who still had more miles to go than I did and cheerfully urged me on. There was this cute girl of about 5 or 6 years, who was screaming from the balcony of her 7th floor house just after Peddar road, Keep it up, Well done. First I only looked up and when she waved, she was delight personified when I waved back. I hope they put kids only on the route next year. I will definitely cut my timing by 15 mins!

Mumbai Rocks.

A sore point this yr was that in the last 6 km, there were hardly any water stops except for a medical tent on Chowpatty. But then Mumbai being itself, a Malayali auntie had taken it upon herself to refill two 1.5 l bottles with nice, cool water from her home and was supplying them to runners. Her husband was refilling them, darting in and out of the house, while she stood in the sun, holding them out. Since I was going real slow, I had a lot of time to notice all this. Then there the guys who handed out bananas and water. I had a load of glucose, water and electral, but nothing helped, not even a toilet break. And I had never taken one in my entire running history, during a race. Hope the organizers return to the original timings next year.


Deepak and myself had resorted to walking till the last 2 km from about the 36th km or so, till Bhasker and Vijay caught up. They gently prodded us and boy, we took off. All of us finished within minutes of each other around 4 hr 42 mins. While I tried to regain my breath by sitting on the road divider, the IE guys caught up and that is how the above article happened.

The best Indian men were at 2 hr 12 min or so. Sunita Godara who is a famous Indian marathon runner was behind me at the 23.2 km mark, running with another guy. But she ran with the pace of a professional. She finished in 4 hr 2 min, the 6th woman amongst Indians. The best Indian woman was 3 hrs and 2 min.

I was 143rd overall and 61st in my age group for men (215th & 180th for the same, last yr). My guess is that roughly 25% of the 142 above me, were not Indians. And then there were the strong women finishers, mostly professionals. There were a few seasoned Indian runners, who could easily be spotted by their pace and style. I did see the women finishers. So I know that the future can only get better. I am getting there, but not as fast as I would want.

Next yr, since I expect to train in Madras, maybe I will do better. Will keep hoping & running, till then.

Two thoughts before I close. One, the idea of the bandanna was born out of a desire to keep the memory of Manju alive and not let it fade away. Second, I had planned to raise funds for Parivaar and mailed a group of like minded friends to contribute to it. We have managed to do better than we planned on both counts.

Thanks to Sweety, Thangam, RFL.

Manju RIP

Thanks to everyone involved.

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Rishi said...

I read the Indian Express article. It was surprisingly good- relatively unsentimental yet quite moving.

As for the times, I'm sure you'll move with them.

1/16/2006 7:11 AM  
Blogger Naresh said...

Hi Dharmendra,
Long time, no see! But it was great to see you in the papers today! Great job!

Naresh
http://www.cfar.umd.edu/~cuntoor

1/16/2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger flaashgordon said...

Hi Dhammo !!

It was gr88 reading as if i was actually there....Feeling nostalgic about Mumbai now..And congrats for completing the run in such a short time!!
Wow! Didnt know u were a runner too in addition to being a ace quizzer, Literature freak, etc etc...Really it was really touching of u to dedicate the run to Manjunath- who's a real hero for all of us!!
See u at some quiz soon
Cheers
Naveen

1/17/2006 12:54 AM  
Blogger D said...

Rishi, Naresh, Naveen -
Thank you for your wishes.

1/17/2006 1:33 AM  
Blogger Ravikiran said...

Dharmendra!

Mission Accomplished.
You remembered Manju and so did so many through the article in the Indian Express. I saw it today only after reading your post.

Cheers, keep rocking!

1/17/2006 2:22 AM  
Blogger Sinfully Pinstripe said...

Hey! Only heard about this right now. A colleague had gone for the run, and he told me that there was a marathoner who was Manjunath's classmate at L, who ran in memory of him, and completed the race. Now how many such do I know?

Hey, congrats man. Awesome job.

1/17/2006 4:54 AM  
Blogger D said...

Thanks dude

1/17/2006 5:01 AM  
Blogger zaph said...

dearest grumbho, much congratulations. this makes the whole shoe delivery business much worthwhile. chicago - new york - new delhi - pune - mumbai - indian express

1/17/2006 7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

grt going dude....dint see the paper myself but got it as a fwd tx to well networked kumaranites..
u must endorse the brand that u wear on ur feet :)...

1/17/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger D said...

worth a thought :)

1/17/2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

only if it doesnt wear out after every such run :))

1/17/2006 11:45 PM  
Blogger Maya said...

Well done, Dhammo, a very touching gesture :)

1/18/2006 12:26 AM  
Blogger D said...

Thanks pocket :)

1/18/2006 3:51 AM  
Blogger Samrat said...

Great show Dhammo.
Whole of IIML is really proud of your feat.

1/18/2006 5:15 AM  
Blogger D said...

Thanks Samrat

1/18/2006 5:26 AM  
Blogger autoinvestor said...

Man u rock.

/me is one of your juns at IIML .. couldnt make it to mumbai this time, but would sure want to do one marathon this lifetime ;) Have only got till the half, tho ..

Where do u practice in blore ?

~Sahu
sahuin@yahoo.com

1/23/2006 5:21 AM  
Blogger D said...

I run in Lalbagh on weekends. Also run once a month in the races by RFL, my club. Although now I am moving out of Bangalore to Madras. Might run on the beach there or run to IITM

1/23/2006 7:11 AM  
Blogger D said...

and Sahu, thanks. Even I started off with the half at Mumbai. have blogged about that too. in fact have blogged about all my long runs. maybe next year we can all run with a common message.

1/23/2006 7:23 AM  
Blogger KVSSNrao said...

Dear Dharmendra

I am searching the net for marathoners who ran at Mumbai or Thane. I came across your blog. I did read the news in the paper. I ran the half marathon in 2 hours 36 minutes. Want to run the full in this year. Would like to know from you some important issues in this regard.
kvssnrao, nrkvss@rediffmail.com

2/07/2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger RUN FOR CHILD RIGHTS AT THE MUMBAI MARATHON 2008 said...

Hi! Your post on the Marathon is very interesting ..... and vibrant if I may add!
I work with Child Rights & You (CRY) in Mumbai and was wondering if you would be interested in supporting 'childrens right to education'- our campaign, this year at the upcoming Mumbai Marathon.
If interested you can mail me on shilpa.ahluwalia@crymail.org
Cheers.

10/04/2007 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home