Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Batteesi...

A long while ago, I landed my first job a few months after I had turned 21. That day marked a major milestone as far as my parents were concerned. From that day till date, they have searched fairly enthusiastically for someone for me to get married to. Initially, I was flattered by the sheer number of women who seemed to be in a wild hurry to get married to me, going by the no. of proposals my parents received. While I have come pretty close on more than one occasion to getting hitched to someone they found, there has always been some derailer in the matter. While my parents have shown incredible resilience in the exercise, I have demonstrated a somewhat stubborn attachment to some of my criteria for selecting a life partner, which has somewhat complicated my matrimonial hunt.

I have as I like to say two basic criteria -
one: the person I expect to spend the majority of my life with, must be a strict vegetarian (No! make that militant vegetarian)
two: the person who meets criterion one above, be educated enough to make a decent living for themself.

Surprisingly, criterion one has been the bottleneck so far. I have met a bunch of charming women over the years, nearly all of whom have carried the 'curse' of being non vegetarian and nearly all of them of them were so by choice, leaving me severely heartbroken.

While the above two criteria were fairly explicit, there are other implicit ones to check out when one actually meets the person one is 'checking' out. I did write about some of this, but then, I am sort that feels that once you decide you like someone for whatever they are, the rest can be sorted out. So for ex., while I average almost 1000-1200 miles a year of running, I don't care if my partner ran a mile in the entire year or not. In fact I couldn't care less if the person had no interest in running. However I would hope that such a woman would also be conscious about staying healthy. So I have gone ahead and met several women over the years, once they seemed to meet the above two criteria.

Some have fallen away at this juncture too. Of course, I have encountered 'rejection' at various other steps according to the evaluation criteria of various other women I have met in this regard. The reasons have varied from my 'social' drinking to the fact that someone felt that my harmless enquiring about their apparent reticence was impolite! I found it amusing to see people devote so much attention to the fact that I drink on perhaps less than half a dozen occasions in a year and admit myself a 'social' drinker, but I guess the same could be said about my obsession for vegetarianism.

The title of this blog post is a mock grin at all this. But you know ... ;)

p.s. Hat tip to Skimpy for the solidly entertaining series of posts he has written in the recent past about his own assorted real life experiences, which sort of inspired this post

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sivani said...

Happy (belated) birthday

4/06/2010 7:16 PM  
Blogger Abhi T said...

I am suprised that an highly eligible bachelor like you isnt hooked (or may be you have just been running).

On a personal note, I was hoping my wife would be fit, but what I got was a "healthy" one. I am not a militant runner (being a new father easily sidelines that identity) , but do consider myself to be a fit person, and look forward to my 1/2 marathon once a year (sorry!). But I was hoping that my wife was into sports like I am.

However, I think, I realise thats an unfair expectation due to
1. Indian attitute towards sports
2. Encouragement for women to pursue sports after year 10.

For me, fitness should be through sports, not taking your car everyday to a far flung gym, and burning the tread-mill - go run from home to the gym door and back, instead.

There are lot of other aspects in which she triumphs, so I am glad I compromised on the fitness front(also, the rejections from the girls were getting to me :-)

About vegetarinism, definitely both of us can't give up meat, though, I wont mind if my wife was a veggie

4/09/2010 5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home