Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Washing, Abida Parveen and Amir Khusrau

I was in a fitful mood (which is almost impossible after running a half, but then I am an addict too far down the road, so my quantity for a fix is higher) with a mash of depressing thoughts ranging from the state of the country and hence my desire to leave, to the impending washing - when to my surprise, FM played Abida Parveen singing Mosey Naina Milaike written by Amir Khusrau. While I must admit I barely get the lyrics, the voice of Abida Parveen* did more than its bit to banish all the gloom. God bless her and Amir Khusrau.

Now I am ready to take on Jalgaon. Ha!


* like that of any outstanding singer - Nusrat is one, Grace Slick in Somebody to Love by Jefferson Airplane, Eddie Vedder, Robert Plant, ...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Quizman said...

Chap tilak (a.k.a mosey naina) is quite beautiful. There are very nice versions on the web, including youtube. Check out the versions by Nusrat, Sabri brothers, Aziz Ahmed Warsi (60s singer from Hyderabad, India), and a lesser known Qawwal from Delhi Ghulam Hussein Niazi.

Niazi's version is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pzk9xEy_E

4/28/2010 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home