Sunday, January 21, 2007

Mumbai Marathon 2007

4:53 mins and some agonizing seconds.

The theme this year was Pay it Forward (only partial allusion to the Kevin Spacey, Haley Joel Osment movie).

My most awaited event for the last one year in my running calendar proved to be a huge test of character. I did most of the right things. Mostly rested. Watched "Chariots of Fire" in continuation of the custom that Sweety & Co. started. Went to sleep reasonably early. Got up in time, had some breakfast. Stretched before the run, warmed up, etc.

But still, I was way off my initial target of anywhere between 4 hrs to 4:15. The race was lost much earlier than expected at around 23 km itself on the turn back from Bandra Reclamation. Although my time till even Worli seaface was respectable being around 3 hrs or so, for 30 km, I had no energy left to go the distance in my planned time.

I started reasonably steady, going at the pace of a km every 5 mins till about 12 km or so, holding myself much against my inclinations (as per my strategy in the last 6 months). Much of the pace was set by Deepak ('the man' from my race last year, who actually sacrificed his timing to ensure I finished well). Then inevitably we had to separate as Deepak could maintain his pace for even the 2nd hr and I couldn't. Also I didn't want to run more than 23 km in my 2 hrs. I eventually ran 23.1 km in 2 hrs 8 mins as per the timing chip.

But then the Bandra Reclamation claimed everything I had. I wilted under the heat and couldn't hold up. I was miserable and hurting all over. The concrete roads became perceptible for once. (Essentially when you are off-target, you start seeing all sorts of nonsense).

I decided at the point I crossed 30 km that there was no way, I was hitting 4 hrs and hence decided that I would just finish the race in whatever time without hurting myself.

And then I met Sanjay who seemed in some distress due to cramps. I applied what limited knowledge I have gathered, of getting rid of cramps in the past and we got rid of his cramps. Although after 36 km, my muscles suddenly woke up and said, "Hello we can run!" (Maybe all the Power bar and Electral decided to finally work!) I decided that I would be better off, running and walking with Sanjay, than running off to finish in about a min better than my timing last year. Sanjay also did his best to console me, saying this was his 4th. I meekly replied that this was my 3rd. And then further down, we met another guy from RFL who was also in some pain due to cramps. I did try my stuff here too, to good effect.

Further down, a good friend was nearly tottering on the road due to a cruel case of "hitting the wall." And this was at the 40 km mark! That is when I realized the heat was perhaps worse than last year. He eventually pulled out, despite recovering from the wall.

Finally, did complete the race, running for the last 0.5 km as I didn't want to finish walking.

Was extremely disheartened with my performance since my body didn't live up to my mind. And then all the reasons for the variance sunk in bit by bit - Maybe I shouldn't have run the 30km last weekend so close to the final run. Maybe I shouldn't have run the full marathon itself if I am so bad under heat. Maybe I should have run even slower in the 1st two hours. Maybe I should have washed my new socks and hence avoided blisters on the soles of my feet. Maybe I should have watched my diet in the last week. I added 1.5 kg by virtue of eating at home (And I used to have only breakfast!)

I was in bad shape when I finished and thought I might puke all the Electral and water I had had. My muscles don't ache so much, but my knees have crumbled. I was quite upset with my timing. I barely noticed Amar, who was waiting cheerfully at the finish line, and did not even bother to say "thank you" to
him. (Amar, if you are reading this, Sorry)

And then to add to one's frustration, there was this ridiculous queue of about 100 people standing in line to collect certificates after nearly 5 hours of running. I blew my top. Not that it mattered to the organizers.

The good stuff: reasonable no. of water stops. nice crowds as usual incl. what appeared to the whole of Peddar Road cheering Sanjay! And a police inspector near Siddhi Vinayak who made my day, when I asked him where the nearest toilet - While another person with him pointed somewhere further up, the inspector said, "Today, you are a special person. Please use the toilet in the station!" That I guess also made my day. Being made to feel special is best done frankly.

But then, there's New Jersey in the next 3 months and there's no time to lose or brood. And then there was Sanjay telling his family that I saved his life - (Even if it is untrue and all I gave him was company for about 10 km). And then I met Rajiv's mom who said it was nice meeting me :) I love mums.

Maybe, what didn't kill me will make me stronger. Time will tell.

Vetcha boy wanted a plug for Panchavati who have fantastic Gujju thalis whose unlimited nature, we utilized to the fullest extent.

Last year, I was 143rd. This year, I was 179th. I guess that sums up how the race went. Finally, when I called my mum to narrate all this, she said that she did watch the race on TV and the Kenyans won this year too!!! Big surprise

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Tanvir Kazmi said...

You remind me of my 5:55 run last year. I had to walk the last 12 kms at least simply because my mind and body were done with all the running they could do under the burning conditions.... and you say it was even hotter this year! Looks like I missed all the fun, anyway congratulations on completing the race... it takes a lot to not give up.

1/21/2007 11:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The glorious uncertainities of the Marathon!! the event wont be the same if it is shifted to an 6.30 start! one gets a first hand account of wat pain is when they drag their bodies across worli sea face only to be confronted by the dull killing slope at peddar road and the final nail in the coffin at marine drive

1/22/2007 9:13 PM  
Blogger zaph said...

good show buddy. you can beat your timing when you're here :)

1/23/2007 12:31 PM  
Blogger KVSSNrao said...

Like cricketers, runners also may have up and down days around the average. We have learn from the less than target performance to do better at the next occasion.

Why can't we persuate mumbai marathon organisers allow on a voluntary basis full marathon participants to start along with half marathon participants. In USA, I read early start is provided for walkers etc. in full marathons.

kvssnrao

1/25/2007 1:07 AM  
Blogger Riya said...

4.53 is not bad..i took part in Hutch Marathon in Delhi & it took me 3hrs to complete that. It was 21kms i think. & hats off to u since urs was a longer one...& u were able to finish it.

IndiBlog

1/25/2007 3:29 AM  
Blogger Badri said...

Have a good run at the Odyssey.

1/25/2007 4:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good show machan! don't worry the heat won't get to you in new jersey. p looked for you in bombay but you were zooming like the wind and were nowhere to be found.

1/25/2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger D said...

Thanks Tanvir.
Rao saheb, long story - better take up on RFL.
Yeh Sandy. You know as well as I do.
Riya. thanks. What is this indiblog business?
Bhoja boy, no luck still.
Boraxx, didn't know P was there. will try harder in NJ. when does course happen? majji man tells me he just got back from ISB.

1/26/2007 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home