Sunday, August 01, 2010

The Edge of Heaven

If someone needed convincing that World Cinema needed watching, here is one good poster child.

Spoiler Alert

The Edge of Heaven (aka Auf der anderen Seite) is a movie by Turkish Director, Fatih Akin and tells the story of a man who travels to Turkey in search of the daughter of his father's dead lover.

How the tale twists (and it really does) forms this endearing story. The song by Kazim Koyuncu which serves to knit the movie together is a positively haunting melody. HT to a pal for this one. I wouldn't have seen this movie but for my pal. My weekend has been phenomenal mostly due to watching this movie.

The gentle onset of grief, despair and then subsequent redemption of the movie, is best essayed by the episode during which the protagonist buys a bookshop up for sale in Istanbul, while being treated to chai by the original owner and then the episode repeats itself.

I could say a lot of things here about how the movie makes you feel but perhaps the best thing I can say is that you must watch it, if only to feel as happy as I did once I finished it. And believe me, it is worth the 1:55 that you spend on it. Sunday well spent.

Fantastic movie. Must watch

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home