Saturday, March 10, 2012

Chinaman by Shehan Karunatilaka, Rahul Dravid's retirement & other diversions

Years ago, while working on a country profile of Bangladesh I was shocked to discover that our neighbours hated us so much. Some time later, I discovered the Sri Lankans hated us too and not just due to our political meddling, but also our mastery for quite a few years over them at cricket, although for most of our generation, Jayasuriya and co. delivered the scarring for a lifetime.

Cricket is not my favourite game but like any Indian, I have played the game and followed it for quite some time before I found more fulfilling pastimes. I was born in the late 70s but managed to see almost exactly a decade of Sunil Gavaskar's cricket, most of it for a losing cause. I didn't like him although he was a stylish delight - He was from what was derisively dismissed by some as the Bombay school of cricket - play selfish cricket and score runs for yourself, even if for a losing cause. I grew up admiring Kapil Dev. He played the exact shot I spent much of my early life trying to emulate - the lofted on drive. Much like me on a smaller stage, when he succeeded he was a delight. And still Vivian Richards remains perhaps the best cricketer of any era I have loved. Just the swagger was enough although one could easily choose the soul-destroying batting style he demonstrated. I am sure several Aussie and England cricketers spent a fortune at the psychiatrists because of him. And that was till Tendulkar arrived. I shamelessly switched loyalties and dropped Kapil Dev and adopted Tendulkar as my favourite Indian cricketer. Viv was still there in my mind but he left, rather unbecomingly for a legend of his size. Kapil's staying on beyond his time just to make 432 wickets was painful to watch especially since that left Srinath & other pacers with less years to play for India.

Tendulkar's arrival marked India of the 90s - under multiple captains but steadied by Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, etc as India still lost but regularly beat Sri Lanka, etc.

I guess my favourite test innings has to be Steve Waugh's 201 n.o. against the best WI bowling attack after Lloyd's fearsome foursome till date. And that shall be followed by perhaps any century by Dravid. All his innings were constructed meticulously and rarely flamboyant. Every shot of his seems to say, "You may keep blabbering. But I will just shut up and respond with my cricket." So you never heard him say anything substantial. In fact among any other Indian cricketers who must have played around 100 tests since 1990, except for Ganguly, only Kumble ever made a statement of substance outside the field. All of Dravid's comments were to be seen in his cricket. He didn't need to speak much.

The reason I wrote this long-winded adieu to him was because I was reading this book called Chinaman by Shehan Karunatilaka in my ill-fated return jounrney from HYD to BLR which got delayed by almost 4 hours. The book documents (albeit in fiction) a tribute to Sri Lankan cricket, over the years, both through long decades of painful losses and followed by the World Cup victory.

There are several people who have spoken of a demise of Indian cricket (at least Test cricket) in the wake of Dravid's retirement. I think that is premature. India may have to wait for a while to see a period of dominance that will see them be No. 1 in all forms of cricket, but I am sure that will arrive, perhaps, even in my lifetime. Note that even Pakistan which has produced such raw talent across various years, perhaps more than any other country (except India!) has not exactly seen a decade of global dominance even when Waqar and Wasim bowled in tandem and didn't hate each other. We may not see another talented, dignified and gentlemanly cricketer of the likes of Dravid in my lifetime, but even he would reassure you, "Don't give up, just yet" just like he did through his batting all his life. Bless him.

Each of the countries I mentioned above - Australia, West Indies, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India have all seen cycles of great cricket followed by forgettable form. They have all been resurrected more than once. Any cricket fan will await the next one, when a good era is past.

Read Chinaman to know how hope is rewarded. I haven't even finished the book but just as you don't need to finish a bottle of single malt to know it is good, you don't always need to finish reading a fine book to know it is a great read.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home